Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Morning


Tommy's alarm goes off at 7:34
It is loud and obnoxious the way alarms should be. 
He remains comatose. 

I nudge him until he realizes turning off his alarm is his job.
At 7:37 and 7:40 this all happens again. Because my giant sets his three alarms at odd minutes, and ignores all of them. 

We sleep till 8ish when I ask "when do you need to be up?"

"mmphf...Now."

This is my favorite part when we snuggle in closer and refuse to budge.

Eventually I get up out of bed to go to the bathroom and craftily suspect this might draw the giant from his covers. It works!

"why are you up when you don't need to be and I'm still in bed?!"

I smile. He's smart, my giant.

intestines. that's why. 

But then he stumbles in and gets in the shower. He is so glorious and cute in the morning. 

This is about the time I realize we are out of toilet paper and my near future includes a shufflewaddle to the far side of the bathroom cabinet to get more. Sigh.

"Carly? Are you still there?"

"...Yeah."

"Could you pass me a new bar of soap?"

Yes! The soap is in the nearer side of the cabinet. 

I tell him I'm out of toilet paper, hand him the soap. And he says, "well if you wait three minutes, I'll be done and can get it for you."

Yes! No moving!


We both get dressed. Me in my workout clothes and he in his school ones. 

And that's when I realize, it's a 9am morning. He has school at 9am. Who thinks of these things?? 

Everyday that Tommy goes off to school is a bit of a tragedy. I am like the kid whose favorite teddy bear has to be taken away to go through the washing machine, except in this scenario he has be get washed EVERY DAY, ALL DAY! It's unbelievable. And taking him so soon after we have woken up? Who thinks of these things?! I morn this fast approaching doom by hugging him at least five times. and following him around the house missing him already. pathetic, yes.

I make him a peanut butter sandwich and he gets all of his bags together (today is a big, two bag kind of day nakies). 

He tells me with a grin that my shoe situation by the front door is getting ridiculous again. And I think shoes are meaningless right about now! He's leaving and the world is ending and he wants to poke me about my shoe situation! We are in the middle of a travesty!! I clutch him tight and take a peek at my shoes. There's only four pairs...geesh. 

Then I put on sweats and a sweater and we get in the car. I drop him off and get TWO kisses.

"Try to take a nap if you can!" I tell him.

"Try to get off of work early!" He says back without skipping a beat.

I smile. I like that we tell each other what to do. I like that we get things for each other. And as much as I hate it, I like that it is an arrow through my heart when he has to leave every day. I love, love, love my Tommy. 

No comments: