Saturday, March 12, 2011

They'll Call Me Freedom

Well peeps, it's been about three hours and I'm sure I'm not going to sleep until at least noon so I'm giving up. Besides I've been inspired.


Today I'm 13 days away from entering into a covenant with God and the man that I love. That's a promise that I'll hold for the rest of eternity. It's endless. And it means that if I hold out faithful, God will honor his side of the promise. I'll be able to go home someday to my God, holding the hand of my best friend and love.

Now to be perfectly honest with you, I'm scared of the weight of this promise. I'm scared of my own weaknesses and imperfections. But I have come to know of the eternal importance of such a promise, the blessings that God rains down, and of the great love that God has for each of us. This is our greatest freedom. To not fear the death of our bodies or of our spirits. To not fear loneliness or abandonment. To know that there is more than this life, that there is a greater light than the sun and moon and stars. There is a greater purpose to our existence than suffering, confusion, fear, trial, heartache, and getting caught up in the distracting things of this world. There is a greater gift that extends past the bounds of this life, and smaller gifts that God wants us to open now all the time because he loves us.

This past week we discussed angels in one of my classes. Most people have heard of heavenly angels even if they don't believe in them. But we talked about mortal angels. People on this earth, living with us right now, who bless our lives every day. People who touch us, help us, guide us, love us so much that we know: we could not have been more blessed had God sent down angels from heaven. I've thought a lot about the people who have been angels in my life. People who I've thanked and not thanked. I may not have even known them, but my gratitude for what they have rendered me is great, and I would be hard pressed to put it into words. Yet I know I must try because they deserve to know.

Beloved people in my life, who are your angels? I know they are in your lives, they touch your lives, think on them for a moment and perhaps you will see them for what they truly are. Perhaps you will discover what I have; an overwhelming feeling of debt and gratitude and wonder at such beings with such love.

There are so many moments, the closer I come to viewing eternity, where my spirit feels freed. There are little bursts of light amid the mundane things of life, and I want with all of my heart, to give them voice.

- Sue Bagley signed our wedding license a few days ago. She is beautiful. She works all day in an office in Rexburg Idaho, but she is an absolute pleasure to be around, even if it's only for ten minutes.
-Tommy and I spent hours yesterday exploring a ranch store, D.I., and peering in the windows of a furniture store we will never be able to afford items from. It was a piece of heaven to skip and walk around with him and just enjoy being together, talking, drooling over cameras, movies and video games we can't afford, testing horrible colognes, looking at adorable bunnies and chicks, testing out mattresses and dog beds, whacking each other with ropes and whips and plastic tubes and bouncy balls. Designing our lives together in our minds.
- I get to see Tommy every day.
- It was warm on Thursday. I wore a dress.
- My family is coming soon :)
- On monday I got over myself and made friends with a girl I've been secretly mad at for absolutely stupid reasons.
- I sleep ALL night, every night.
- I finished a round of tests and papers this week.
- I met my visiting teacher in the check out aisle.
- My friend just got engaged to a great girl.
- I wrote poetry again last week.
- I LOVE TOMMY and I know that he loves me back.
- I get to read my scriptures anytime I want.
- God wants us to ask him for good things and expect to get them. To work for them and trust that he knows us and has heard us.
- I haven't felt nauseous or achey yet.
- My sister is coming to see me :)
- Windy Dawn reminded me of the song "Wavin' Flag". Watch it here, and don't be afraid to bump up the volume.



In it, it says "When I am older, I will stronger, they'll call me Freedom, just like a wavin' flag."

I love that.

To be called freedom to me means you are a Being closer to heaven and light than most of us dare to be. It would mean that you remember love, forgiveness and charity so often it's become a part of you, and your spirit calls out to those around you like a fresh breath of air. It would mean that you see angels all around you and don't forget who they are by calling them anything less. It would mean that you see the light at the end of the tunnel all of the time because you know this life is just a necessary and beautiful passageway onto the next. It would mean you've seen God for who he truly is. You've taken the time to find yourself, forget yourself, and find yourself in God. Figure out how it feels to be near him and to be far away from him, and you've decided for yourself which you like better. Freedom to me means truth. It means understanding. It mean boundless from the laws and walls of man. Freedom to me means seeing and believing in the capability of others. Freedom means loving someone past all of their weakness and your weaknesses, freedom means you've given up being free from others, you've given up being independent, freedom means you've trusted someone else enough to acknowledge that you can't do everything on your own and that is good. Because you know you have to be vulnerable by letting the right someone into your life so that you can grow stronger together. You let people act as angels in your life and you know you have something to contribute in the lives of others.

Freedom means you fall. Freedom means you fly.


When I am older, I will be stronger.

They'll call me Freedom.


Oh to be called such a thing. To know that we don't need to age to be stronger, but still knowing progression is where we are headed. To be called a being who loves, forgives, trusts, falls, repents, trusts, sees eternity while still confined to this mortality, knows of the truth of God, a being who acts boundlessly to improve in everlasting virtues and isn't afraid. Isn't afraid to ask for help and give up a piece of our pride because they know two together achieves more than one. Freedom: to not fear but act in faith. To rise again and again in light. Towards greater light.

Freedom in it's truthfulness is never a solitary state.
Free are spirits who have reached out and in and up so many times, they are not confined by their body, they are empowered by it and exude it's frame at every chance that their light is strong enough.


Friends, you are, and have to power to be, angels. I know that to be true. I hope you know you are stronger than you think.
And most of all, I hope you know God lives and that you have even an inkling of how much he loves you.

Let them speak truth when they call you Freedom.



p.s. This video is long, but it is beautiful. It's about the temple that was recently dedicated in Kyiv, Ukraine. The gathering of youth is amazing. Please watch it, pass it on. These young people have light in their eyes. I'd call them freedom.

3 comments:

Windy Dawn said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing your insight on freedom.

Hey, guess what? In 13 days you will officially be my sister!

Bushland said...

Beautiful post! Guess what? In 13 days you will be like a daughter in-law to me because we claim Tommy as a Bush family member. This gives you rights to drop in any time, eat what's here and make yourself at home. We are so excited to be there for your special day.

carleen marie said...

I love you both!! I'm so excited to be adopted into such wonderful families and have fridge rights to boot! I can't wait to see you all!!