Sunday, December 20, 2009

Henry

Tonight on a plane ride home I met a man named Henry. Dressed like many other men and women on my flight, his uniform told all of us right away that he was military, and I learned from him rather quickly that he is part of the National Guard working in Infantry/Demolition. When he isn't out on service, he lives in Arizona with his wife and four kids, working as a cop. He worked as a cop for some time before honoring his desire to serve our country. Henry likes to talk : ) not in an overbearing "listen to me" way, but very obviously because he loves life and people, he likes sharing his life with those around him, and eagerly invites them to share theirs with him. It is not often easy for me to open up with perfect strangers. But open spirits, open other spirits. Henry has a very sweet spirit.

We talked about many things including philosophy, and I was able to learn a lot about Serbia, Kosovo, and Albania, but most importantly; about the people there. He has been in Kosovo for the past 14 months, and other than the ten days he was allowed to come home last march to see his new born baby girl, this will be his first time going home. Not once did he even hint that he is displeased with any aspect of his life or let me know how hard it must be for him. Can you understand my respect for this man?

He is working on his masters in philosophy right now, knows that he has 1-2 years with his family, that in 2013 he will be sent to Afghanistan, that when he is 45 he will be able to retire from both the national guard and the police force, and that he wants to be a high school philosophy teacher when that happens. He knows that the military can call him at any time and say they want him to go to Afghanistan a year early, or a year late. He said it as easily as if he was saying his wife might want oranges for breakfast, or bananas. He has picked a path that I would deem extremely difficult, but he has clearly done so with his head facing forward, honoring his choices with happiness and peace. I am 20 years old. Henry is 30. We are not that far apart in age really, but I feel he has lived a lifetime more than I.

My flight from SLC to Seattle was 1 hour and 43 minutes. I remember because they announced it twice. During that flight Henry read a book titled "Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar; Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes", and I read "The Book of Mormon". He shared some of his book with me, and I shared some of mine with him. We shared some laughs and some powerful words from a loving father Lehi to his sons. It's the best plane ride I've ever had.

Henry left the flight with a book of mormon in his hands and a napkin with a scrawled scripture reference that he'd really felt the power of. I left with a new found respect for the men and women serving on behalf of our country. A greater appreciation for forgiveness, dedication, the spirit of God, and enduring to the end with joy. I met a brother today; and Henry will never know it, but he truly was my christmas present this year. He taught me more than he'll ever know.

Say a prayer for the people we call "troops". Whether you agree with the wars they are called to fight, or the peace they strive to uphold; they are souls who are serving up their lives. Giving their time with their little girls and boys, their husbands and wives, moms, dads, friends, cats, chrismas's. Say a prayer. Love each other. And share the gospel.

Merry Christmas
and God Bless

No comments: